Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It’s been brought to my attention that I don’t write as much as I used to. I’ll admit it’s unacceptable, but life so quickly becomes normal even in Africa.

For example, over the weekend we went to a comedy show starring Trevor Noah. During our orientation they played a video of his stand-up and we watched it in silence as the RAs laughed their asses off behind us at jokes which mainly pertained to race relations and political problems in South Africa, which at the time we didn’t understand yet. Seeing him at Baxter Theatre this weekend and being able to laugh at 95% of his jokes made me realize in an instant how much we’ve learned since coming here. To understand intimately the people of this country and their history makes me proud of the time I’ve spent here.

I’m equally proud of my recent success at La Fiesta Restaurant. Spencer and I have developed a habit of dropping into this little joke of a Mexican restaurant for one reason only: to solve the word scramble and win a free margarita. We take a 25 minute walk to observatory, carefully trying to avoid the muffin factory store on the way in order to arrive at the site of said free delicious drink. Each day the manager writes the letters to an obscure word between 9 and 14 letters long on a chalk board with the explicit promise that he will grant anyone who can unscramble the word one cold one on the house. The first day it took us around 30 minutes to unscramble “compromising.” I’m happy to report that on day 2, it was only a matter of 10 minutes before I blurted out “nymphomania” and established a victory streak. Given the trend of the learning curve, I expect the manager will have the drink made and waiting to pass to us as we walk by and shout out the word. Fun stuff!

Just as I was beginning to feel like I’d be living here forever, a letter arrived at 123 Ember Lane that grabbed my ankle and pulled me back to reality. My final acceptance letter to Tulane SOM I’d been waiting on for almost 2 years had made its way into our mailbox and I was beyond excited to submit my intent from Africa. Over the past couple years I’ve had time to think through the consequences, both good and bad, that will come of my decision to become a doctor. While I have concerns and apprehensions about finding a balance between work and family, I submitted my intention to attend without hesitation because I know this is a career that will fulfil me and give my children great lives like the one I have.

I’m amazed how quickly time has rushed by—I can feel the wind in my hair as I barrel forward into the next adventure of 4 years where each day I will wake up and learn something that I can use to help improve the quality of people’s lives. I feel unbelievably lucky to have been given this opportunity and turn my gaze to the next chapter of the book, which is bound to be the best yet.


Love from La Fiesta,


A

No comments:

Post a Comment