Friday, July 16, 2010

The Lead Singer in a Rock Band

Out on Long Street last night, I had my first taste of fame, dear readers. With all the whirling excitement in this city, my fellow program-mates and I had been indulging a bit too regularly, so last night I resigned myself to completely abstain from all things alcoholic. I assumed wrongly that I wouldn't have as much fun last night as my friends... boy was I wrong. At first I had to push myself to socialize with my chatty and overly sociable counterparts, but as the evening went on and we changed location to a bar with an awesome cover band I discovered that the real glory of the night was still mine to be won. While dancing inside the completely packed Dubliner (we're talking 100+ people), the lead singer of the cover band pulled me on stage with him and handed me the microphone to sing a song. After it as over, I went to leave and he invited me to sing another... and then another... and then another. My friends and I decided it was time to go so I finished the set (!!!) and hopped off the stage, but before I left I was invited to come back on Sunday evening. Is this real life?

Every rose has its thorn, as they say. And while I woke up feeling pretty good, I opened my mouth to speak and discovered that last night's vocals caused a total system shutdown. My voice has been cracking like a little boy's all day but I have to say that it was completely worth it.

Later in the evening we returned to the first bar called "The Waiting Room" and were allowed up to the rooftop area. From there we could see the entire Cape Town skyline and it was really a beautiful thing.

This morning we rose early to visit possible service sites for our time abroad. The one that most interests me is a pediatric TB hospital. The children are not contagious but they are very lonely and scared because they are forced to live in the home without their parents until their course of treatment is complete. When we visited today, a certain little boy looked up at me and cried "mama!" then hopped into my arms and put his head on my shoulder. He whimpered when I left but I promised him I'd come back. I took some pictures of him and the other children that I hope to post as soon as I solve my computer woes.

In other news, tomorrow is Move-In Day! I can't believe it! I'm living in a house with 15 other students (11 female, 4 male) from my program. I'll be sharing a room with my friend Marlee from Connecticut-- I can't sum up how awesome she is in words but she and I have had the opportunity to get some classic roommate pictures that I think sum up the friendship so far. Our place has great location in Rondebosch which is the town area by campus. I think its going to be an Animal House situation with all of us living in there, so I'm bracing to hold on to my hat for this one.

But luckily, if I forget to hold on to my hat, I can always buy a new one for CHEAP. Here's a rundown of how outrageous pricing is here:

1. Good meal - 50 rand or $7
2. 20 minute cab ride - 15 rand or $2
3. Cocktail - 24 rand or a little over $3

It obviously depends where you are because in touristy or rich areas pricing is inflated but its still shocking to be able to get around so cheaply when I'm used to dropping $30 on a cab in NOLA just to get to Tulane from the airport.

It is time for a nap before Marlee and I hit up the Cocoa Wah-Wah for some coffee and interneting and possibly some warm clothing finding... ITS FREEZING HERE! Cross your fingers for it to warm up!

Love from Long Street,

A

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the next time you play a set you can throw in some classics like "Neighbor knows my name" or "Birthday sex" - you will surely be the most attractive woman in the room after a set like that. sounds absoultely priceless but you better watch out from those $3 cocktails because you don't want to blackout right?

    ReplyDelete