Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A post dedicated to Eric

Eric would like a shout out in my blog because it will make him feel like a celebrity. So readers, before I get into today's post, I would just like to say that Eric is a massively attractive and tall Scandanavian Christian looking for love in South Africa. If he sounds like someone you want to get to know a little better, he lives Graca til Saturday and is now accepting dates.

Moving on, today has been eventful. I woke up with terrible dry mouth due to last night's wino tendencies and was being chronically annoyed by the laughter of some housekeeping staff in the hallway. After trying unsuccessfully to fall back asleep, I crawled out of my neat little bed and stumbled into the hallway looking for water and for someone to feel sorry for me. What I found instead was 30 of my new program-mates arriving from the airport with suitcases in tow looking wide-eyed. I managed to get out a hello before walking contact-less to the elevator in search of liquid. I located some orange juice and began to feel revived.

We moved rooms today and I was so excited to arrange living with Carrie for the next few days. Carrie is a carefree California girl whose claim to fame is good driving abilities. She goes to Occidental College in SF and we're definitely on a similar wavelength which is really nice. After hounding the other members of a group we have dubbed "The Orphanage" I finally got my people together to get breakfast at our new favorite spot... DRUM ROLL: The Cocoa Wah-Wah. This place is the absolute BOMB. It's a little breakfast place on Main Road that has great coffee crack and a delicious breakfast menu. We ran into a couple girls from Middlebury who had gone out on the town the night before and apparently 6 shooters for 30R had them out until 5 AM and still feeling the effects when we ran into them at 11 AM.

From breakfast we met up with the whole CIEE contigency for lunch... which we were not hungry for, oops. But it was nice to meet some more people that were not members of The Orphanage. Not to digress, but during a wine-infused discussion I discovered that my fellow foster friends enjoy having profound religious chats while under the influence... not entirely my scene, so I was excited to meet more people.

After lunch we took a stroll to Main Road and I bought some gorgeous black knee boots for under $50 US. SUCH A STEAL. literally, I couldn't envision a more perfect pair. A first group meeting went off without a hitch, except when our program leader called us out publically for bringing home the shittiest boxed wine in south africa last night. These people have a great sense of humor :)

Dinner was really good in the dining hall and now as I post this blog I am passing a bit of time before my friends and I go out on the town for a short time. Tomorrow's going to be a big day and its going to start early so we can't be out for long, but we're all too excited about discovering our new city to stay in the rooms.

Love from 9C5 Graca Mechal Residence,


A

1 comment: