Monday, August 2, 2010

Yesterday I met the man above at Robben Island. An ex-political prisoner, he works as a guide where he was once held captive. After watching his pregnant girlfriend get shot in the face, he decided to take action against the apartheid government. In 1980 he attempted to bomb a government building but was caught before completing his mission. His three associates were hung and he was charged with high treason and given a life sentence to be served on the barren and desolate Robben Island. Walking around the Lyme workyard and seeing the 5ft x 5ft cells put me in awe of the gentleman before me. I was blessed with the opportunity to listen to his story of systematic starvation, but how their spirits overcame with the philosophy "each one, teach one." I'm so fortunate to study in a country where iconic individuals still walk the earth.

2 comments:

  1. wow, thank you mom and dad for living in america. i am so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. When I went he was my original tour guide but I ended up in another group and didn't get to hear his personal story. Thank you for sharing. The Robben Island experience moved me more than any other part of my trip.

    ReplyDelete