Sunday, August 29, 2010

What Would God Tweet?

What a weekend! Woke up Sunday and clambered over the door of our bathroom which had been removed from its place in front of the shower and toilet, peered into the tub and there floating in brackish waters was around 100 plastic cups. I spotted someone on standing just outside the door in the yard, and I only knew it was Marlee because the individual was not wearing any pants. After many attempts to re-install the door, M&K recruited the help of a shirtless Natty who was also unsuccessful. And with that, we established that until my two frat brother roommates figure out how to repair the blockade, showering just became highly inappropriate. But TIA: This Is Africa.

I spent my day doing a Game Theory tutorial and writing a paper for the History of Medicine in the Making of Modern South Africa class. I was surprised at how easily the writing flowed after I outlined my brains out—I haven’t written many proper papers in college due to my concentration in economics or “ecos” and the sciences, so I was somewhat tentative about the whole thing. Luckily, I cranked out 1100 of the 1500 words this afternoon and need to do a little more research to wrap it up, but it should turn out just fine! That’s not due until Friday, but there’s nothing that I hate more than waiting until the very last minute, especially with all the other work I’ve had going on.

To back up, to Friday, the soccer game was incredible. We had an amazing time and I don’t even like soccer! Unfortunately, we lost our friend Andrew, Spencer’s roommate, at some point during the game. After many unsuccessful phone calls and worried pacing about the stadium, we resolved that Andrew was probably just in a no service area or his phone ran out of batteries. At 6 AM we received a phone call from Andrew saying he has just woken up in jail. The cops informed him he’d passed out on the sidewalk and as a public service they put him in the slammer so he didn’t get mugged. After paying US $14 to be released, Andrew was driven to the train station by the police who were “going in the same direction” and “used to also do stupid shit when they were drunk.” The cops also spelled his name wrong and didn’t take down any of his information, so we’re thinking it was like checking into a motel with bars instead of walls and he won’t have a record. Either way, he’s an extremely lucky guy.

Saturday I hung out with Barry, a South African male model (bow chicka bow wow), and a few of his friends while they watched the Springboks rugby game. I was surprised at how welcoming they were to me as they offered me dinner the moment I walked in the door. I felt a little anxious after a bit of time passed because I was in a stranger’s apartment too far away from my house to walk home if I wanted to, so I was happy when they brought me back at half time to reunite with convict Andrew and Spencer to go to the Red Wine White Shirt party for my friend Marina’s 21st birthday. She has a gorgeous house that’s a little out of the way, but we had a blast teaching the South Africans how to play Kings and braaiing in the backyard. We returned home to the chaotic scene of Marlee and Kat throwing a party outside my room, at which time I bowed out and locked myself inside, which brings you to the beginning of my story when I woke up to madness in the common area. It’s an animal house, but it’s OUR house.

Love from the bathroom without a door ;),

A

No comments:

Post a Comment