Sunday, August 8, 2010

On African Time

There's a phenomenon here called "African Time." It means being exceptionally late for everything and proud of it. A few phrases to describe time frames here have made their way into my vocabulary.

"Just now" : 20-30 minutes from now
"Now now" : 15-20 minutes from now

Last night I went out with a few African friends Chenai ("nay-nay"), Blondina ("Blah Blah"), and others and I learned how difficult it is to coordinate a large group of South Africans for our friend Vuvu's birthday. The activity for the night was to complete a list of missions written on a piece of paper. My mission was to point, smile and wink at a stranger of the birthday girl's choice. Other missions included kissing someone old enough to be your father and singing a duet of waka-waka so I was glad to pull an easy one. I literally did not walk through the door until 5 AM this morning and believe me it was NOT by choice. Those girls just did not know when to call it a night!

Overall an interesting night on many levels because I've never been out with a group that was entirely South African. Will I have a repeat performance? Not a chance.

Love from 5 AM on Long Street,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment