Monday, August 16, 2010

Greetings from Devonshire House

We've turned the clocks back to 1970 in our new retro bungalo next to the main bar by campus. Through some intense application of game theory, I scored myself a massive room in the "cottage" portion of this incredible dwelling. Marlee and Kat are also living in the attached house, which has a kitchenette, bathroom and common area-- a total score compared to the main house. The property shares a big courtyard, a garden in the front yard and the location is to die for... except that location also means my key ring that's so heavy it must be transported in a backpack. I have 9 different keys for the house as I have to pass through that many gates to get inside of my room. These security measures are due to a high volume of break-ins that occurred in this house last semester. Hopefully the issues are remedied with said key ring, but as always, I will keep you updated.

This weekend was nonstop full of activity. Friday I hiked up Lion's Head again and this time successfully conquered my fear of heights by scrambling onto the massive boulders that I chickened out of last time. Unfortunately towards the top of the mountain I started feeling sick and boot'n'rallied all the way to the bottom with Marlee and Kat alternatingly seeming concerned and trying to boost my moral with good humor. By the time we got to the bottom I was pretty dehydrated and passed out in the street-- "whoops" as Marlee would say. My friends carried me into the house and the rest was history. Luckily this bout ended quickly because I was abled to take my anti-nausea medication from the last time I was sick.

Saturday morning I rallied and went to a wine tasting-- interesting choice after having stomach problems but I was determined not to miss anything after I missed Camps Bay. I wasn't able to try any of the wine, but I had a good day with everyone touring the winery and enjoying the beautiful day in Stellenbosch. After the tasting we moved to a cheetah rehabilitation center and it was amazing to see such powerful animals close up.

Sunday we hit up Mzoli's: a barbeque in a township. The only way to describe this place is the biggest party in the world on a Sunday. Hundreds of people danced to the music spun by a DJ underneath a tent and spilled into the streets. We drank from 6 packs bought from the liquor store in the township and waited 4 hours to receive a MASSIVE bowl filled with every kind of barbequed meat you can imagine that we ate with our hands. Incredible.

I'm running late for volunteering so I can't write too much more at the moment, but I'll be sure to send an update again soon.

Love from Mzolis in Guguletu Township,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment