Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I have schoolwork?

I have schoolwork. And a lot of it. I guess I sort of missed the "study" part of study abroad for the first 5 weeks of this magical semester. Trade Bargaining has officially started kicking my ass. Representing the island of Fiji, I am expected to participate in 3 hours worth of online chatting per week with my sub-plenum concerning itself with Dispute Settlement Procedures. We also have class 5 days a week-- DOWNER. I guess I'm going to have to buck up. I'm done complaining, I promise.

As I was saying in my previous post, I am loving our new home Devonshire. We haven't had any issues so far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for continued success in this maximum security fortress.

A plus side to our new location has been the great gym that's just across the road that I've become a member of. They have a lot of classes and a wayyyy better facility than the one at Graca Machel so I'm much more motivated to work out. Also, we walk at a 45 degree angle to school every day for 20-25 minutes. Exercise is built into my day. Marlee couldn't figure out why her bum was on fire until we thought about our morning hike-- case closed.

Plans for Spring Break are about to shake themselves out. Myself and 4 male friends (Spencer, Andrew, Parker, Chris) are going to make a 6 day pilgrimage down the coast on the Garden Route. There are a lot of amazing things to do on this drive like see elephants and monkeys, ride ostriches, bungee jump off the highest bridge in the world, etc etc. I couldn't be more excited to go on this trip! I'm used to being the token estrogen, so in exchange for all the manly protection they can offer I'll play the part of mom. The idea of just getting in a rented car and driving away into new spaces is pretty amazing and I think the 5 of us are going to have some unbelievable times on this trip.

Earlier today I was sitting at my desk reflecting (read: procrastinating) and after 5 weeks I can say I'm beginning to miss some things about home. The excitement of being in South Africa is still unreal, but I wish I could share everything I see with the people I love back home and in New Orleans. Ultimately I think going it alone makes you really appreciate the obstacles and challenges you face with your people by your side. And of course, this experience will without question make me a stronger woman.

Love from Garden Route daydreams,


A

No comments:

Post a Comment